About KK & TB
Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma are honorary service organizations whose sole purpose is to serve the college or university band programs through service projects, fundraisers, social events, and other projects as needed.
The Iota Alpha chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi and the Eta Omega chapter of Tau Beta Sigma have been serving the Fresno State bands since 1988.
Kappa Kappa Psi is a fraternal organization that promotes the advancement of college and university bands through dedicated service and support to bands; comprehensive education; leadership opportunities; and recognition; for the benefit of its members and society.
With a dedicated spirit of unity and cooperation, we are unequivocally committed to become the world standard of excellence for band fraternal organizations.
We, the brothers of Kappa Kappa Psi, believe that service to the college or university band program fosters responsibility, loyalty, and leadership; that a spirit of brotherhood is enhanced by the participation in a band program; that music is a universal language and truly the greatest of the arts; and that through fraternal participation, each member will strive for the highest.
Fraternal Code of Conduct:
Brothers of Kappa Kappa Psi are seen as role models and leaders by other members in the band and on campus. We can never know who is watching our actions or who will be affected by our deeds. It is therefore essential that we present positive qualities at all times. Being a brother is not a part-time commitment. As such, the example we set should shine constantly to inspire others. The following qualities define brothers of Kappa Kappa Psi. These qualities described Bohumil Makovsky, our Guiding Spirit. By following Boh’s example, we will teach and inspire others as he taught and inspired our Founding Fathers.
Honor. Brothers should conduct themselves with honor at all times. Our service to college and university bands serves as an example to others. We should take pride in these accomplishments and not let anything tarnish our honorable reputation.
Integrity. The character of our brotherhood is based upon the principles of decency and sincerity. Our impeccable integrity lets others know we can always be trusted to keep our word.
Respect. Respect for others is a cornerstone of Kappa Kappa Psi. Our diverse membership is an asset that cannot be taken for granted. Using this strength to our advantage requires respect for others and their points of view. In return, we earn the respect from others by treating them as equals.
Loyalty. Service to band programs and the Fraternity requires people who are devoted to those organizations. Working together is the key to achieving our goals. Being loyal and dependable is therefore essential to our success.
Honesty. Brothers should always remain truthful and honest, even in the face of adversity. By acting in a trustworthy and honest fashion, other people will gain respect for Kappa Kappa Psi.
Be it known that Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Fraternity for College Bandmembers, is an organization operating exclusively in the field of the college and university bands, and for the following several purposes:
(1) To promote the existence and welfare of the college and university bands and to cultivate at large a wholesome respect for their activities and achievements.
(2) To honor outstanding bandmembers through privilege of membership extended as a reward for technical achievement and appreciation for the best in music.
(3) To stimulate campus leadership and promulgate an uncompromising respect through the medium of the college band for gracious conduct, good taste and unswerving loyalty.
(4) To foster a close relationship between college bands and promote a high average of attainment by the performance of good music and selection of worthwhile projects.
(5) To provide a pleasant and helpful social experience for all engaged in college band work and to cooperate with other musical organizations in any manner consistent with the purposes of the institution at which chapters are located.
Tau Beta Sigma National Honorary Band Sorority provides service to collegiate bands, encourages the advancement of women in the band profession, and promotes and enriches an appreciation of band music through recognition, leadership development, and education of its members.
To create the pre-eminent organization to promote band music as an integral part of the American cultural experience; and, to promote enrichment of the human experience through participation in and exposure to collegiate bands; and, to recognize deserving women and their contributions to these goals.
(1) Knowledge and development of your physical powers in the quest for good heath and bodily perfection;
(2) Recognition and development of your intellectual potential;
(3) Appreciation for and the maintenance of the highest moral standards;
(4) Achievement of and the personification within you of lofty spiritual ideals;
(5) Cultivation and maintenance of your emotional poise under all conditions.
Eight Essential Factors:
(1) Physical and mental qualities of an attractive nature;
(2) Demonstrated loyalty and dependability to those persons and institutions deserving of it;
(3) Truthfulness and honesty which instills a sense of trust in others;
(4) A cheerfulness at all times and under all circumstances, even in the face of great trial;
(5) A mutual interest in the Art of Music in its performance and in the aesthetic qualities it can project to others;
(6) Generosity of mind, heart and hand;
(7) Tolerance, tempered with kindness and a consideration for the needs of others;
(8) Fortitude and courage to see an ideal, to seize upon it, and follow it wherever it may lead you in Tau Beta Sigma.
Be it known that Tau Beta Sigma, National Honorary Sorority for members of the college band, is an organization operating exclusively in the field of the college and university bands, for the following purposes:
(1) To promote the existence and welfare of the collegiate bands and to create a respect and appreciation for band activities and achievements among the listening public everywhere.
(2) To honor outstanding members of the band through privilege of membership, in the Sisterhood, extended in recognition of musical achievement, demonstrated leadership, and an enthusiastic approach to band activities.
(3) To develop leadership through active participation with the band, and through it, to strengthen those traits of conduct, thought, and idealism which characterize the responsible membership of the band.
(4) To encourage a close relationship between collegiate bands and promote a high average of attainment by the performance of good music and selection of worthwhile projects.
(5) To provide a meaningful and worthwhile social experience for all engaged in collegiate band work, and to cooperate with other musical organizations and societies in every manner consistent with our mutual purposes and those of the institution at which chapters are located.